May 27, 2010

Broncos News

Hey guys and gals, I had some free time so I thought I would do a bit of an update on the latest Broncos news. First I want to start with a rumor that has been spread around Broncos website about a Greg Inglis. Now you are probably wondering who is Greg Inglis? Well Inglis is a Rugby League player from down under. He is 6'5 and weighs about 240 pounds and he has surprising speed for his size. Being from down under I have been asked by a number of other bloggers before about this guy and who he is and if the rumor is true. So I thought I would shed some light on Inglis and the rumor.

Where to start, maybe with the rumor. First it looks like there has been a offer for a workout or tryout presented to Inglis from a number of clubs including the Bills and Broncos. But Inglis has turned down the offer and says it is something he would do at the end of his career. It is interesting to note that this report is only on Broncos news sites as it is not on any local media here and I have been looking out for it. This is also not the first time a Rugby League has been offered a tryout. Willie Mason went to a tryout for the Jets that he got offered, nothing came of that though. But there was a lot of media coverage of that here, so I am surprised that there is no media coverage for this story since Inglis is one of the best league players.

What position would he play? The report says that we have been looking at him to play LB and some other bloggers have suggested that he could play safety. But having watched Inglis play for years I think he is better suited to play offense. Inglis is devastating with the ball in this hands and has a great stiff arm. So maybe running back or most likely Wide receiver, check out the video below for more.


Therefore I believe that it is highly unlikely that Inglis plays gridiron this year or next. I don't think it is on his radar at the moment and nothing will come of this. Also it is the middle of the league season and it doesn't end till November. He would not be able to come over and learn until his contract is up after the season, the times don't fit.

Update:
I actual been doing some more thinking about this (I know right, me thinking?) and I came to the conclusion that it would be very difficult for a Rugby player to make the transition. The reason I think this is because of the way each sport is taught and played. Having been one of the few people to have played both sports on a regular bases I can say it is hard to change. For example the tackling technique is completely different. Your head position is different in the sport and it is hard to change something that you have been doing for years.

The other reason is the NFL is too complicated. Most of the guys that play rugby league are guys with natural ability and are young straight out of high school, can start as early as 17 in the pros. They don't get the college education that all NFL players go through. They don't have a huge playbook to study, they play a lot on instincts. I can play with a group of mates and just dominate because we know the game and each others games so well. That happens from playing the sport together for almost a decade. Players just know the game and what things will happen. None of these guys could study a NFL playbook.

Don't get me wrong, I think some league players could do it but most would fail.
These guys were born and breed to play league. Since the age of 5 we play league none stop. We play it with friends at school, we play with friends after school, we then train for our teams and then play again on weekends. It is none stop football for us. We go home with cuts and bruises sometimes broken bones, we go to class covered in blood (I did that once). We breed them tough here, that is why the second video is epic, love the hits and the fights.

Now other Broncos news:

The Broncos have signed both of their 7th round picks.

Champ Bailey has said that Orton is his guy for QB. The QB race is still on going but Orton is early favourite.

Ayers is planning to start at OLB this season and Phonzy has been improving and Bailey has noticed this.

With Brandon Marshall gone, Jabar Gaffney could emerge as the team's No. 1 receiving threat, well that is what ESPN thinks. The Broncos have 12 receivers in camp at the moment.

Stan Jones, a form coach of the Broncos past away, RIP.

Both Ryans are recovering well from their injuries and we hope to get them back before the start of the season.

Brandon Stokley has a shoulder injury and has been held out of training.

This is another video for those interested a bit in rugby, the video shows both League and Union (union is traditional rugby) but is 98% League. This video is epic!

19 comments:

  1. haha. I wouldnt mind signing a Rugby guy like that to take a chance on him. Could be interesting. And nice video Aussie! I enjoyed every second of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never really understand that sport but that guy is fast!! Good stiff arm like Aussie said and big... he would do well in the NFL. lol He'd be feared by many & intimidating with his height & speed. Would be interesting to see a rugby player come & play football. Oh and those videos are crazy!!

    Some other Bronco news... Stokley will miss passing camp because of an injured shoulder. There's not much to say on it at all so I'm hoping its not that big of an injury. He's missed a few other practices because of the injury but it doesn't sound too serious right now. Here's the story on nfl.com.

    Stokley Injured

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Princess I saw that about Stokley, that is a real bummer I hope he can get healthy before the season starts.

    And thanks for the feedback guys & gal on the videos. I actual been doing some more thinking about this (I know right, me thinking?) and I came to the conclusion that it would be very difficult for a Rugby player to make the transition. The reason I think this is because of the way each sport is taught and played. Having been one of the few people to have played both sports on a regular bases I can say it is hard to change. For example the tackling technique is completely different. Your head position is different in the sport and it is hard to change something that you have been doing for years.

    The other reason is the NFL is too complicated. Most of the guys that play rugby league are guys with natural ability and are young straight out of high school, can start as early as 17 in the pros. They don't get the college education that all NFL players go through. They don't have a huge playbook to study, they play a lot on instincts. I can play with a group of mates and just dominate because we know the game and each others games so well. That happens from playing the sport together for almost a decade. Players just know the game and what things will happen. None of these guys could study a NFL playbook.

    Don't get me wrong, I think some league players could do it but most would fail.
    These guys were born and breed to play league. Since the age of 5 we play league none stop. We play it with friends at school, we play with friends after school, we then train for our teams and then play again on weekends. It is none stop football for us. We go home with cuts and bruises sometimes broken bones, we go to class covered in blood (I did that once). We breed them tough here, that is why the second video is epic, love the hits and the fights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may add that comment to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lot of fun, and the good thing is anyone can play, even if your short and white and not the quickest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man I love the second vid, I have been watching that like once everyday, just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't expect a rugby player to be part of the NFL anytime soon for all the reasons Aussie mentioned but it is an interesting thought to think about. My friends from NZ are HUGE fans of rugby (don't know too much about American football)... complete opposite of me, lol. Anyway, during the time they were here they showed me clips of rugby games (while I showed them all the glory that is the NFL & college football) and rugby players are ruthless. The very first thing I noticed is they wear no pads... just uniforms & yet they take those huge hits, hence all the blood. Point being... it would be very hard for a rugby player who's been playing rugby all his life to transition into the NFL, which have become softies in some areas with all the rules. That's another big problem area... rugby basically has no rules, except one if I'm correct (forgot what it was) & the NFL has how many rules?? Too many to count. lol

    Bottom line: there would be so much involved in getting a rugby player to play in the NFL. It would be interesting to watch but I can just imagine all the yellow flags flying because of all the penalties. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah. It could be very interesting to see like u guys said, but very doubtful to happen like u guys said. Princess made a good point about the rule, there could be alot of flags! And now for some Bronco news: Flozell Adams visits the Broncos:

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8185fb9f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true



    Hmmmm.....What does this mean for Cladys health? Wonder how long he could be out. Just hope hes back ASAP. We need our elite LT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got to love the sheep shaggers haha, and yes no pads got to love it. But there are a lot of rules in both. There is usually more penalties in a league game than an NFL game. It isn't to hard to adjust to the rules, I would think it would be harder for players to adjust to the technique.

    And that Adams information is interesting? But it will probably only be for depth incase Clady isn't ready. But still interesting...

    Also so that Princess got her face on DenverBroncos Blog, I bet the boys are going nuts there haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where's Princess? Cant find her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mark_cooper/07elway-knows-the-game/

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol, I just saw Coop's post on DB. I can't believe he did that... had no idea he would. Oh well, kinda fun being on there. I just wrote him an email telling him about my graduation & party cuz he asked and the next thing I know I'm on the blogs, again!

    haha, might as well get some entertainment out of this boring offseason. Man, I can't wait till July for training camp. Bored silly over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha I know, it was funny to see you up there again. And maybe you should get a job so it isn't so boring haha. And are you going to any of the training camps?

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol You sound like my mother. I'm workin' on finding a job... now that I have this business degree I can work anywhere. Just trying to figure out where I want to be. And even if I do get a job, its still boring with no football.

    My little cousins want me to come see them so I'll probably do what I did last year... see them for awhile & then go see my friend & my Broncos. I'm gonna definitely try to make it to training camp in July. I have a friend who I stayed with last year for a few days... he only lives 10 minutes away from Dove Valley. I think I know where I'm moving when I go back to CO. lol From the highway right outside his neighborhood, you can see the entire Dove Valley area. Pretty darn cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha didn't mean to sound like your mother, was only joking, haha, how about you go into IT with an business degree haha. And yes it has been really boring with no Football and there is no coverage of the current camps that they are running.

    And that would be cool if you get to go to training camp and see the guys run about. And living near Dove Valley would be awesome. Plus I think your friend would like to have a lady friend stay over for a few days haha jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ewwww, that guy is like a big brother to me. Plus, he's like twice my age & 2 kids to take care of. We're just friends... he was one of my dad's best buddies.

    Anyhoo, yeah I'm gonna make it a point to get out to CO around the time of training camp. I want to see Tebow in person. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha it was only jokes Princess, but that is a little funny.

    Haha and I bet you get kicked out by security when you run on to the field to get a kiss from Tebow haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. DANG I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT!!! Late comment.. AB remember when Andrew Symonds dropped his shoulder on that pitch invader a couple years back?? LOL I think it made it on to PTI.

    I have a funny feeling the Princess may cop the same treatment.

    LOL Kidwell on Big Willie, I remember that test, and then Mason had the nerve to call it a cheap shot!

    Biggest league hit I ever saw was (Im showing my age here) was Brad Izzard on Benny Elias (Panthers v Tigers) back in late 80's I think lol But the 'Biff' was awesome in the old State Of Origin matches!

    ReplyDelete